The South University AA Program, located in Savannah Georgia, offers a Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science Program. Established in 2004, the South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program prides itself on providing integrated classroom and practical application with state-of-the-art mock operating room and anesthesia learning labs. Although the reputation of SU isn’t perfect (as it is considered a for-profit school by the US Department of education) the statistics of the AA program speak for themselves.
- 100% of South University AA Program students pass the NCCAA on the first pass.
- 100% of South University Anesthesiologist Assistants are employed at graduation.
Considered one of the top schools in AA, the South University AA Program size is 24 students (target 50/50 between male & female students) accepted each year. The school does not publicize the acceptance rate, but insiders estimate it to be between 5-10%. Furthermore, the South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program is 28 months in length and begins in June of each year. South University works very close with the Mercer University School of Medicine to award the final Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science (MMSc) degree to all AA students at graduation.
South University Anesthesiologist Assistant Tuition
To sum up, the average total tuition cost of the 2-year program is approximately US$100,645 or US$10,600 per semester.
The tuition is the same for In-State and Out-of-State students.
South University AA Program Course Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
- Courses Required: Biology 1, Biology 2, Chemistry 1, Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry 1, English, Physics 1, Physics 2, Calculus, Biochemistry and Statistics
- Courses Preferred: Anatomy & Physiology 1, Anatomy & Physiology 2, Organic Chemistry 2, Cellular Biology and Molecular Biology
GRE / MCAT Prerequisites
- GRE & MCAT: Either One is OK
- Minimum GRE Score: > 50%
- Minimum MCAT Score: >500
- Average GRE Score: 155 Verbal / 155 Quantitative
- Average MCAT Score: >500
South University Anesthesia Assistant GPA Requirements
- Average Science GPA: 3.4
- Average Overall GPA: 3.5
- 3 Recommendation Letters
- +8 hour of Shadow experience
- CASPer Test Required
- The first year will focus on classroom and simulation laboratory while the second year will be full time clinical rotations in practice settings.
- The South University AA Program accepts applications via CASAA (Centralized Application Service for Anesthesiologist Assistants), which is the standard online application for all AA degrees in the US.
South University Application Deadlines
- Early Decision: June
- Regular Deadline: February
709 Mall Boulevard
Savannah, GA 31406
Telephone: (855) 884-2408
AA Program Accreditation
The CAAHEP has accredited the South University AA program.
South University Anesthesiologist Assistant Website
Anesthesiologist Assistant Programs by State
Other than the South University AA program, there are currently 11 other anesthesia assistant programs in 9 U.S. States. To learn more about other anesthesiologist assistant schools, click the individual states on the map above.
If your concern is studying anesthesia in the State of Georgia, you may want to also research CRNA Schools in Georgia as there are 2 nurse anesthetist schools in the Georgia.
South AA Program
For your reference, we list out additional information in table format on the South Anesthesia Assistant Program with detail on the City, degree offered, length of program, class size, application deadlines and requirements. This school has been approved by the the American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants (AAAA).
|School Name||City||State||Degree||Length (Months)||Early Consideration Deadline||Regular Deadline||Class Size||Acceptance Rate||Avg GPA||Avg GRE||Avg MCAT||Minimum GPA||Minimum Prerequisites GPA||GRE||MCAT||Shadow Experience||Casper||Tuition In-State ($000's)||Tuition Out-State ($000's)|
|South University||Savannah||Georgia||MMSc||28||June||1-Feb||N/A||N/A||3.4 science, 3.5 overall||Verbal: 155 / Quant: 155||>500||N/A||N/A||GRE or MCAT||GRE or MCAT||8+ hours||No||$100||$100|
In conclusion, the South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program is a very well respected school for Anesthesia Assistants. This school should definitely be on your list of target schools along with Emory and Case Western.
For those of you that are currently attending or have graduated from the South University AA program, what are your stats? Please kindly share more information to help educate and promote the profession of Anesthesia Assistants.